Academy Awards Oscars 2010 - Fashion, Winners and Everything In Between

>> Tuesday, March 9

Oscars 2010, has come and gone, and by far of all the Oscar telecasts I've had the opportunity to watch, this year by far was one of the best yet, from the fashions to the stage design, nominees and winners. Here's my recap of my favorite highlights and memories of Oscars 2010.







The Opening:
Neil Patrick Harris - I was a little confused to what Neil Patrick Harris was doing there opening the show (I got confused for a minute, I thought I was watching the Tony Awards) but I have to say I loved his little number. It was funny, and entertaining. I most especially loved the backup dancers in their very vintage showgirl costumes. Great job, NPH, you are no Hugh Jackman but you'll do.
 
The Hosts:
Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin - I was a little concerned about this pairing when it was first mentioned that they were hosting but they did okay. It was not fantastic or great; just okay they got a few chuckles out of me. Some highlights for me were when they went around the room noticing all the people and made some comments about them. my favorites were James Cameron - they put on those 3-d glasses and I about died; George "the original Dr. McHottie" Clooney - they didn't have any words and they just had a staring competition, very funny stuff; Meryl Streep - I felt too many people were taking shots at my Meryl but she is such a good sport and can laugh at herself. Overall, I give Steve and Alec a B-.

The Awards: The real reason for the show and not the fashion or the parties afterwards
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'nique
I knew that Mo'nique was going to win this award and I was very happy for her. She deserved it for giving the performance of her life and highlighting the reality of life for some people. I didn't say black people, I said some people because even though they had an all black cast this story goes beyond color barriers and you can find it in every race, nationality and country. It's very real and I'm glad that Lee Daniels and the cast and crew of Precious, had the courage to tell this story.

I thought Mo'nique looked gorgeous and gave a very moving speech, even in her nod to Hattie McDaniel. Mon'ique is the fifth black woman to win an Academy Award, and she won the same award Hattie McDaniel won 70 years ago. She even wore a blue dress  and adorned her hair with gardenias to honor Hattie McDaniel. When Hattie McDaniel won her Oscar she wore a blue dress adorned with gardenias and had gardenias in her hair. Here's Mo'nique's speech:

I would like to thank the Academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics. I want to thank Miss Hattie McDaniel for enduring all that she had to, so that I would not have to. Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey, because you touched it, the whole world saw it. Ricky Anderson, our attorney of Anderson & Smith, thank you for your hard work. My entire BET family, my Precious family, thank you so much. To my amazing husband Sidney, thank you for showing me that sometimes you have to forgo doing what’s popular in order to do what’s right. And baby, you were so right. God bless us all.




Congratulations Mo'nique!!! You deserved it and now when anyone introduces you, they will have to say Academy Award Winning Actress Mo'nique. Job well done!!!! 
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
I loved all the ladies in this category so it was hard to pick a favorite. Ok I'm lying, I wanted Sandra Bullock to win and also just slightly, only because she's a beautiful young woman, Gabourey Sidibe to win as well. Sandra Bullock's performance was stellar and she deserved to win this just as much as Meryl Streep. Sandra Bullock had me in between tears and laughter with her acceptance speech and it with it she reminded us that because of her down to earth personality is the reason why we love her so. I must say she looked breathtakingly beautiful; the dress, the hair, the makeup. She was the queen of the night. Here's her acceptance speech:

"Did I really earn this, or did I just wear you all down? I would like to thank the Academy for allowing me in the last month to have the most incredible ride with rooms full of artists that I see tonight and that I've worked with before and I hope to work with in the future, who inspire me and blaze trails for us. Four of them that I've fallen deeply in love with I share this night with and I share this award with. Gabby, I love you so much. ... Carey, your grace, beauty and talent make me sick. ... Helen, I feel like we're family. ... And Meryl, you know what I think of you, and you're such a good kisser.

I have so many people to thank for my good fortune in this lifetime, and this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I know. To the family that allowed me to play them, the Tuohy family, I know they're in here and you'll probably hear her in a minute. Maybe not. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to ... do something different. John Lee Hancock, Gil Netter, Alcon, Warner Bros., the actors, everyone who's shown me kindness when it wasn't fashionable, I thank you. To everyone who was mean to me when it wasn't ... George Clooney threw me in a pool years ago. I'm still holding a grudge. But there's so many people to thank.

 Not enough time, so I would like to thank what this film is about for me which are the moms that take care of the babies and the children no matter where they come from. Those moms and parents never get thanked. I, in particular, failed to thank one. So… if I can take this moment to thank Helga B. for not letting me ride in cars with boys until I was 18 because she was right. I would’ve done what she said I was gonna do. For making me practice every day when I got home. Piano, ballet, whatever it is I wanted to be. She said to be an artist, you had to practice every day, and for reminding her daughters that there’s no race, no religion, no class system, no color, nothing, no sexual orientation that makes us better than anyone else. We are all deserving of love. So, to that trailblazer, who allowed me to have that (Jesse James, her husband). And this.”  I thank you so much for this opportunity that I share with these extraordinary women and my lover Meryl Streep. Thank you."
 
Best Adapted Screenplay:
This was a historic night, indeed. This was the first time an African-American had one an Oscar for adapted screenplay and the Academy Award went to Geoffrey Fletcher. He made the story written in the book Push by Sapphire come to life in his words on the big screen. Congratulations Mr. Fletcher!
Best Director and Best Picture:
Kathryn Bigelow and her film Hurt Locker had a wonderful night at the Oscars. In the 82-year history of the Oscars, no woman has ever one Best Director and on Sunday evening Kathryn Bigelow knocked on the door and Oscar answered giving her the moment of a lifetime. Not only did she become the first female to win best director but she and her film Hurt Locker won best picture, beating her ex-husband James Cameron and his film Avatar in both categories. Congrats Kathryn and the cast and crew of the Hurt Locker!
John Hughes Tribute:
Forget Pretty in Pink, that Molly Ringwald looked Perfect in Purple!!!!! Some of my favorite movies came from the works of John Hughes. I grew up on his films and they were a part of the beautiful memories of my childhood. How can you not like such films as:
Pretty In Pink
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
National Lampoons’ Vacation
Weird Science
Sixteen Candles
Uncle Buck
Home Alone
And a host of other favorites

It was great to see the cast of The Breakfast Club, Jon Cryer, Macauly Culkin, and Matthew Broderick together to honor John Hughes, his work and his family. I hear one of John Hughes last works is going to made into a film and if this is true, I’ll be right there in the front row. Thank you John, for filling my childhood and memories of music, love and stories of growing up. You will truly be missed but your movies will forever live on.
 
The Presenters:
Tina Fey and Robert Downey, Jr. presenting Best Screenwriter
The banter between these two was really great. I could have watched them go on and on for another two hours and still not tire of them. It was an enjoyable point for me and they were only presenting. Can we get a movie starring the two of you together? Pretty please........

Best Actor/ Actress Presentation
I love when they bring out other industry folks to talk about the nominees. You see the nominees trying to hold back the tears and just so humbled and thankful that they were nominated. It says something of a person’s character and artistry that other industry in their own greatness can praise you and you feel that what they are saying is truly heartfelt. I loved the speeches. They were all moving but two of my favorites were Oprah Winfrey to Gabourey Sidibe and Stanley Tucci to Meyrl Streep.
 
The Performance:
Dancers for Best Movie Score
I thought this was very innovative of the Academy to do and it was lyrically beautiful to watch and I'm not saying that because I'm a former dancer. I was captivated by the dancers and how their movements accentuated the music. If I had written any of those pieces of music and seen that performance I would have been honored to see my work come to life not only in film but in actual motion. Simply beautiful.

In Memoriam:
This is the portion of the program that never fails to have me tear up and reflect on how beautiful, precious and short life is. I always love the music they play because it always strikes the right tone and pulls the strings of the heart. James Taylor's version of one of my favorite songs In My Life was a tear-jerker. However, very noticebly missing from the clip was Farrah Fawcett. How can forget Farrah Fawcett, Academy?
 
The Set and Production:
I loved the retro, art deco vintage look of the stage. I was really loving the colors, style and the music choices that the used for the presenter's entrance. It reminded me of those great stage productions from old hollywood. It was very classic, retro hollywood.

THE FASHION:
Now, what we have all been waiting: The Gowns, the jewels and the really HOT guys in tuxedos. Here are my favorite fashion choices of the Gals and Guys at the Oscars.

2 comments:

J2d9 aka Trinigyul March 13, 2010 at 3:05 AM  

Your Oscar review was fantastic. I love your picks and comments. Also its great to find a fellow Trini who loves the same things! :)

Trini GRITS March 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Hi Trinigyul! Thanks for stopping by and posting a comment. I read your review of the Oscars as well, we do love the same things! Great minds think alike. LOL. I love your blog by the way. Again, thanks for stopping by and please feel free to stop in and visit anytime.

Search Trini GRITS

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP