I'm Going On A Trip

>> Wednesday, March 31

I apologize for the lack of posts recently but I have still been trying to decide on some major life decisions and I’ve also not been feeling well. I hate not feeling well! My mom called and said my dad was requesting I make a special trip home this weekend for Good Friday Services and Easter (My parents are pastors). I think it would be a good time to go get some parental advice, have some Mommy TLC (that is what mom’s do best, right?) and just recharge all at the same time. While I’m preparing for my trip I thought I’d share some visuals of where I grew up and where I’m going. (Click the pictures for a larger view)

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina

Can't you see the sunshine

Can't you just feel the moonshine

Ain't it just like a friend of mine

It hit me from behind

Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind
Carolina In My Mind by James Taylor



I’m going where the palmetto stood tall in the moonlight to defend our coastal fronts and along with the crescent moon, are the symbols of our state
I’m going to the place where the marsh, rivers and ocean meet
I’m going where the sun kisses the cranes hello and goodbye, every day as it rises and sets
I’m going where there is always a never-ending pot of Frogmore Stew (low country boil, depending on what region you are from but in my neck of the woods it’s frogmore stew). Don't worry no frogs are harmed or used for this delicious meal. The name comes from the small community on St. Helena's Island that the soups creator is from.
I’m going to a place where fishing, shrimping and just boating period are a way of life
I’m going to where the lighthouses stand sentry among the palmettos as guards and guides to our waterways
I’m going where the homes are stately and regal reminding of us a bygone era when life was truly sweet and simple (and in some places it still is the same way)
I’m going to where the art of sweet grass baskets is not taught in a school but in lessons learned sitting on the front porch passing from one generation to the next
I’m going where if the ancient oaks dripping with Spanish moss could talk they would tell the history and tales of the people and things they have seen.
I’m going where the smell of salt water in the morning air is the best wake up call you could ever get. There is nothing like it and you never get it out of your system.
I’m going where the seafood is fresh, abundant and a standard part of every meal from shrimp and grits for breakfast to oyster roasts rounding out the evenings.
I’m going where the local 55-year old plus drugstore still has a lunch counter; hand dipped ice cream, old-fashioned milkshakes and a real soda fountain. It has to be the last of it’s kind. 
I’m going where Main Street is still MAIN Street. Check out the seashell sidewalks.
I'm going where this is my family's sentiment 
I’m going where this sweet little antique and movie prop shop is the marker that tells me I’ve finally made it.
I’m going………………..home
This is my grandmother’s driveway after it snowed last month. It looks like a postcard. Thanks K for posting this pic on facebook.
Anything is bound to happen while I’m home, so I’m sure I’ll come back with some great things to share with all of you.  

1 comments:

Limin' Ladies Intl.™ April 1, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

OOh girl, I wanna go :) It's always good when you get away and recharge. Have a safe and awesome wknd with your family.

Search Trini GRITS

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP